Sustainable Interior Design
September 9th, 2019
Category: WB Jamieson
Author: Darren Seymour
Sustainable Interior Design
Choosing a style for your home should be personal to you. It should reflect who you are and how you interact with the space. There are many style guides and trends of the moment. These tend to pass just as quickly as they arrive. Where does that leave you? Trying to catch up with the latest trend again. Its a never-ending cycle of consumption in which the consumer never really gets long-lasting satisfaction.
What do we propose?
Responsibility for our environment and an increased awareness on the detrimental effect of pollution and waste on the planet are evident all around. Information is everywhere, while many people are making changes little or large, we still have to do more collectively.
At WB Jamieson we sell furniture, flooring and soft furnishings that are made to last a long time, their longevity in itself is the antithesis of a disposable and wasteful society which thankfully we are all learning cannot be sustained any longer.
So what does buying designer furniture have to do with the environment?
By buying well-designed, better quality, timeless furniture, the extra cost is offset by the piece's longevity. Better quality, lasts longer. Furniture also can gain a perceived value over time with ownership, we may place significance on a piece of furniture; 'Dad's favourite chair' for example. Also with use, patina is formed which further enhances a piece's character giving it a story and its own history. If we all held on to our possessions for longer this would have a great impact on the sheer volume of waste the pollutes the environment.
In a society accustomed to a throw-away culture. The mindset of buy better, buy less often is one that must make sense.
Even the flooring we lay is conscious of environmental issues. For instance, Amtico have release a manifesto regarding their business' promise to manufacture their tiles in a eco-friendly and sustainable manner. Below you can find the pointers from their commitment:
- Prioritise the elimination of pollution and the reduction of waste to maximise the use of recycling and reprocessing.
- Through the design process minimise the environmental impact of all new materials and products.
- Maximise products’ useful life, and work towards sustainable solutions for products at the end of their lifecycle.
- Use the latest technology to make more effective use of energy, resources and recyclable materials.
- Be transparent in respect of our energy, waste and recycling performance.
- Maintain a focus on sustainable development among colleagues and partners.
- Promote the health and well-being of the Amtico team through a safe, progressive working environment.
Amtico's long warranties which are anywhere from 25 years for Spacia to lifetime warranties for their Signature range. Meaning that by choosing Amtico. You can rest assured that the flooring will last a long time and not be destined to be replaced due to the wear and tear of daily life in a short period of time.
True style is timeless.
Instead of joining the merry-go-round of trend-based products, which will inevitably look dated in the near future or fall apart beforehand. Lets buy better, buy furniture with a story and a provenance. Furniture that will last and look good for years to come.
< Back to All News